Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Favorite Social Media Campaign

It's no wonder Coca Cola is one of the biggest brand names. It constantly finds new ways to sell the same old products. The way it does it? Social media.

When it debuted its "Share a Coke" campaign this year, the message was to share a Coke with the people you love. It brought back the idea of Coke being a classic family drink that can be shared with younger generations. The campaign originated in Australia in 2011 and was just introduced in America this summer. Quickly, it seemed like everyone, young and old, was digging through stores to find "their" Coke, and they were talking about it. Soon, #ShareACoke was trending on Twitter, and it seemed like everyone was posting selfies with their personal bottles on Instagram. To take it one step further, Cokes were beginning to make appearances in baby and wedding announcements!

I have to admit, although I am not normally a Coke drinker, I too was scanning the Cokes at the checkout counter any time I went to the store hoping to find my name. If I had, I probably would have bought "my" Coke. In the end, isn't that the whole point? Kuddos to you, Coca Cola!

Long term, I'm not sure if "Share A Coke" will stick around. I know Coke will be riding the wave of success for a little while longer, but once excitement dies down, I see the campaign ending. However, that's not to say Coke can't relaunch the campaign again down the road hoping to mimic its earlier success.

No comments:

Post a Comment